Welcome to PCFitness! If this is your first time visiting this blog please click here. Enjoy your journey to better health...
COMING SOON!!!...online personal training options. Get the motivation you need to stay on track with your fitness goals.
“The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.”
-Stephen R. Covey

Monday, February 15, 2010

A few thoughts...

Last week I went to one of the gyms where I teach and was shocked to see a poster announcing a memorial service being held for one of the men that worked there. There was a picture of him with the year he was born and the year he died. It still didn't make sense to me. I was speechless. I had just talked to him on the phone a few days earlier. After asking what happened I was informed that he died of a heart attack a few days before.

I was suprised at how much it bothered me that he was gone. I didn't want to teach that day because I felt so sick. This is not a man that I knew much about. In fact I only saw him once a week as I was coming and going to the gym. But he was always there. And he tried really hard to get my daughter to like him. He usually had a little dum-dum sucker for her. Soon they became friends and she would always say hi to him.

The thing is this man was severely obese. He was a walking time bomb. Medically it really isn't suprising that this is what took his life. But he was only 43 years old. Too young to die. Things like this don't need to happen.

It was reminder that day that life is so precious. I know there is no gaurantee and healthy people also die, but there are so many diseases that don't have to happen. Last Wednesday a good man and friend left us because his heart could no longer endure the stress that was put upon it every day. I am not judging him, because I truly don't know anything about his personal life, but I miss him and I am sad that his life was shortened...most likely uneccessarily.

Today let us do something to be healthier. Do it for those you love. Do it for yourself.

No comments: