Welcome to PCFitness! If this is your first time visiting this blog please click here. Enjoy your journey to better health...
COMING SOON!!!...online personal training options. Get the motivation you need to stay on track with your fitness goals.
“The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities.”
-Stephen R. Covey

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Healthy Lemony Green Beans

I often forget to put much thought into the veggie side dishes I make. I will prepare the main dish and then just steam some beans and broccoli and throw them on the table. Lately my little one has become more picky and will leave the veggies on her plate (unless I give her some ketchup to dip them in...totally gross I know). I guess it is time for me to get more creative and teach her that veggies are yummy. My husband will probably appreciate it too. I like this twist on the green bean from CookingLight.com-





Here are some variations to make them even more kid and adult friendly-


Lemony Green Beans


This wonderfully adaptable recipe will become a go-to side dish that works alongside fish, chicken, poultry, and many other main dishes.


For Kids: Skip the lemon juice and sweeten the dish with a touch of honey or maple syrup. Serve on top of steamed white or brown rice along with a piece of grilled chicken for a complete meal.


For Adults: Try a spicy variation to the dish: add crushed red pepper, cumin, and slivered unsweetened coconut to the hot oil. Sauté for a minute or two, then add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Serve garnished with a mixture of mint and cilantro leaves. Complete the meal with brown rice and grilled chicken.

No comments: